Here’s a easy project that you’ll love. Now you can quickly make a doll bed for your 18 inch dolls without using tools.
Step 1: Buy a single piece of garden border.
These are the small sections that clip together to form the decorative edging around an outdoor flower bed. They are available in many different styles.
- I purchased mine at Michael’s craft store. Any store with a garden center, or gardening area may have this type of border. This item is seasonal. You will probably only find it in the stores during gardening season. For best selection, shop early in the season.
- There is a small loop on the right side for joining this piece of border to the next one. If it bothers you, just cut it off with your wire cutters and file any sharp edges to prevent injury. I left it on my bed, so you could see it.
Step 2: Buy a basket.
This basket was purchased at Michael’s craft store for $14.99. It’s part of their “Natural Storage Solutions.” It has a metal support structure inside that makes the basket quite sturdy.
- Look for a basket that’s about 19-inches long and at least 9-inches wide. Mine is 19-inches long by 13-inches wide by 5 inches tall.
- Turn the basket upside-down. To create the ‘headboard,’ stick the garden border through the basket on one of the short sides. Anchor the border’s ‘legs’ with metal twist ties to prevent movement.
Step 3: Spray paint the bed.
You may find it’s easier and requires less shopping time if you select your bedding fabrics first. Then select your paint color to coordinate with the fabric colors.
- I made my mattress from 1/2-inch thick foam. If your basket is shorter than 5-inches tall, you may want to use a 1-inch thick mattress to add height.
- Next, I’ll be adding the instructions to make the bedding, along with some cute matching pajamas for your American Girl doll.
Remember, the early shopper gets the best seasonal selection.
So have lots of fun!
Please leave a comment and let me know if you like this idea.